Here’s starting with wishing everyone a very Happy 68th Republic day. Every year the two particular dates 15th august and 26th January are a matter of great fanfare and grandeur, as each Indian feels an immense pride to be a part of this great country and the World’s Largest Constitution and to see its tri-color unfurling high in the air. As we are gearing up for the 68th year of a great constitution, here are some lesser known facts about the Indian Republic Day.
1) Since it was the anniversary of Purna Swaraj Day (26th January 1930), The date 26th January 1950, was specially selected to enforce Indian constitution into existence.
2) First Republic Day parade at Rajpath in New Delhi was held in 1955.
3) India has the longest written Constitution in the world, incorporating 448 Articles in 22 Parts, 12 Schedules, and 97 Amendments.
4) It took Dr. B.R.Ambedkar 2 years 11 months and 18 days to draft the Indian Constitution.
5) Two hand-written copies of the Constitution were prepared in English and in the Hindi language.
6) Until our Constitution came into force, we used the British era Government of India Act 1935 to rule our country.
7) Republic Day celebration goes on for three days! It ends with ‘Beating Retreat Ceremony’ on 29th January at Wagah Border! Christian hymn ‘Abide By Me’ is sung in this ceremony which is among Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite songs.
8) The Prime Minister honors thousands of Indian Soldiers who died fighting for the Nation. He places a wreath at Amar Jawan Jyoti on the India Gate as a mark of respect to them
9) The President unfurls the flag with the 21 gun salute that involves firing of arms and canons as a naval and military honor. The National Anthem is sung at this time
10) Some of the major Indian national awards like Veer Chakra, Maha Veer Chakra, Param Veer Chakra, Kirti Chakra, Ashoka Chakra, Bharat Ratna and Padma Bhushan are awarded on Republic Day.
While this day for many of the people will be just another National Holiday, on the other hand for some, it will be a day to hold pride. But a common fact between both sides settles for the fact that, only because of the well-versed constitution that we have, we enjoy Democracy, Socialism, Secularism and National Integration among us.
On this very note, A Happy Republic Day Once Again!!
“ JAI HIND”