Cannes Film Festival, which was earlier known as the International Film Festival till 2002, is held in Cannes, France every year. Each year, it previews new films of all genres, including documentaries from around the world. This invitation-only festival, along with the Venice Film Festival and Berlin International Film Festival, makes up the “Big Three”. This year, it is the 72nd annual Cannes festival, which is being organised from 14th to 25th May 2019.
As mentioned above, the festival experiences previews of a lot of new films every year. Some of the stunning movies which are making preview this year are:
- The Lighthouse, Directed by Robert Eggers, this is an American black-and-white dark fantasy horror film. The film is written by Robert and Max Eggers and features Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. It is said to be “the terrifyinge” at Cannes.
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a French drama film which depicts the story of a young painter who is commissioned to paint a picture of a young woman to be used to elicit marriage proposals. The film is directed by Céline Sciamma and stars Adèle Haenel, Noémie Merlant and Valeria Golino. It was selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at the Festival.
- Bacurau is a Brazilian drama film directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho and Juliano Dornelles, which revolves around Bacurau, a small town in the Brazilian sertão, which is beset by strange happenings following the death of its matriarch at the age of 94. The film stars Sônia Braga, Udo Kier and Bárbara Colen. It was also selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at the Festival.
- Little Joe is a British-Austrian drama film directed by Jessica Hausner, which tells the story of Alice, a scientist, who creates a genetically modified plant which seemingly causes uncanny changes in other living creatures. The film stars Emily Beecham, Ben Whishaw and it too was selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at the Festival.
- Zombi Child is a French drama motion picture directed by Bertrand Bonello. The film stars Louise Labeque, Wallenda Louimat and Adilé David.
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a black comedy film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The star cast of the film consists Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell, Timothy Olyphant, Dakota Fanning, Luke Perry, Margaret Qualley, and Al Pacino. The story revolves around a television actor Rick Dalton and his stunt double Cliff Booth as they make their way through a changing film industry.
But the festival is not just about the movies, but also the stars who attend it. This year, stars like Selena Gomez, Julianne Moore, Eva Longoria, Alessandra Ambrosio, Amber Heard, Elle Fanning and Izabel Goulart marked their attendance at the Festival. Not only this, some Bollywood divas like Deepika Padukone, Kangana Ranaut, Priyanka Chopra, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sonam Kapoor Ahuja, Diana Penty, Huma Qureshi and Hina Khan were seen slaying the red carpet with their awesome outfits.
The festival also captured some of Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas’s PDA moments. A lot of famous stars were missing at the festival, but they might be seen in the coming days.