The supremo of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) Jayalalitha is known as ‘Amma’ (‘Mother’) and ‘Puratchi Thalaivi’ (‘Revolutionary Leader’) by her supporters. Let’s see what makes her so popular:
1. When Jayalalitha was 3 years old she started learning Bharatnatyam.
2. She joined Tamil film industry at the age of 15 when her mother Sandhya (Real Name-Vedavathi) forced her to be an actress just like her.
3. Interesting fact of all is that she could not watch her debut movie as the movie was rated as ‘Adult only’ and she herself was underage.
4. She was the first actress in Tamil Film industry to wear a sleeveless blouse and drench under a waterfall on screen.
5. During her film career, she fell in love with a married actor Shoban Babu. She was even caught watching him through binoculars from her home. Great love it was, but she never got married!
6. Marudhur Gopalan Ramachandran, popularly known as MGR, an Indian Tamil film actor, producer, director and a renowned politician, who also served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu successively for three terms, not only did blockbuster movies with her but also introduced Amma into politics.
7. Amma is a great reader of English books, she carries some of them whenever she travels.
8. Not only she governs, but she is a good Tamil writer as well. She was a regular author in the yesteryear Tamil weekly by the name “Thai”.
9. Amma also holds the record for having been the Tamil actress with maximum silver jubilee hits in her film career (80 hits out of 85 Tamil films). In addition, all her 28 films in Telugu were also silver jubilee hits. One of her Bollywood film ‘Izzat’, was also a success.
10. Amma financially helped a young gardener to pursue his studies, he obtained very good marks in 10th standard but left studies on money issues. He completed his studies from a reputed Engineering college in Madurai with the specification in Computer Science.
These were some interesting facts that make Jayalalitha so famous. We at NAC pray for her good health and her speedy recovery.